To help save you time and money and make sure we account for all the credits and deductions you are entitled to below is a list of things to remember to bring to your appointment.

  • Social Security Card
  • Last Years Federal and State Tax Return
  • Wage Statements W-2’s
  • Other 1099 Forms
  • Information on the Sale of Stocks, Bonds, and Investments
  • Self Employed
  • Rental Income
  • Income from Your K-1’s
  • IRA
  • Child Care Deduction
  • Medical Expenses
  • Charitable Donations
  • Purchase or Sale of Personal Residence
  • Mortgage and Home Equity Interest Paid
  • Real Estate and personal Property Taxes Paid
  • State and Local Taxes Paid
  • Unreimbursed Employee Expense
  • Student Loan Interest, Tuition and Education Fees
  • Estimated Taxes Paid

Social Security Card

Your Social Security number, which is your taxpayer identification number, is printed on your Social Security card. You and all of your dependants need a social security number. If you do not have a Social Security card, you can apply for one by completing Form SS-5 (Application for a Social Security Number Card). If you are changing your name (due to marriage, divorce, etc.), notify the Social Security Administration (SSA) so that you can obtain a new Social Security card. Get Form SS-5 from your local SSA office or by calling 415-744-5776. This form can also be obtained from the SSA Web site at To complete your tax return we need the social security number and date of birth of all names reported on the tax return.

Last Years Federal and State Tax Return
If you are a returning client to Vance Economic Services we have on file your last year’s tax returns on file so you do not need to bring them.  If you are a new client please bring last year’s tax return.  We will look at your last year’s tax return to make sure we are asking all the right questions and to find all of your tax savings for this year and maybe even last year. You may be able to qualify for some of the same tax deductions or tax write-offs that you received last year.

Wage Statements W-2’s
For employee income, you should receive a Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, from each employer you worked for during the year. Contact the employer if you do not receive your Form W-2; it should be sent to you by January 31.  For non-employee income, a Form 1099-MISC (Miscellaneous Income) should be sent to you by January 31. Bring all of your W-2 and 1099-MISC Forms to your tax interview.

Other 1099 Forms
All your miscellaneous income must be recorded on your tax return. To help in this, various entities send you 1099 forms. Some are 1099 R, INT, DIV, G, and SSA.  Each form provided information about various monies your have received during the year.  Please bring all your 1099 forms, including your social security 1099-SSA and unemployment 1099-G form, so we can match the IRS computer.

Information on the Sale of Stocks, Bonds, and Investments
When you sell stocks and other investments you will have a capital gain or loss. Bring Form 1099-B, (Proceeds from a Broker and Barter Exchange Transactions), any brokerage statements (showing dates bought and sold), and any available confirmation receipts that shows the cost basis and any fees paid. VES will calculate your cost bases to reduce your capital gain tax to its lowest level.

Self Employed
If you run a business as a professional or sole proprietor, you are taxed on gross income minus expenses.  Please bring your accounting records showing your totals for income and expense items to your tax interview.  If you don’t have these records don’t worry, please call so we can help you in this area.  We can save you money!

Rental Income
If you own rental property, money received as rent is reported as income. You can deduct expenses for acquiring, maintaining, insuring, and operating the rental property. Bring your accounting records to your tax interview. If you do not have accounting records that summarize your transactions, don’t worry please give us a call so we can help your in this area.  We can save you money!

Income from your K-1’s
The income and deductions that these entities pass on to you are included in your return. We need to see your Schedule K-1’s or an equivalent statement.

You may be able to deduct up to $4,000 for individual contributions to an IRA. If you are age 50 or over, you may be allowed to deduct an additional $1,000. Limitations for filing status, participation in other retirement plans, and total income may reduce your deduction.

Child Care Deduction
If you have a qualifying child under age 13, a disabled child of any age, or a disabled spouse, and you pay someone to provide care for them while you work, you may qualify for a tax credit of up to 35% of your expenses. You must provide the IRS with the care provider's name, address, and taxpayer identification number (TIN), which can be a Social Security number or an employer identification number (EIN). If the provider is a daycare center, the TIN is their EIN. If the provider is an individual, the TIN is their Social Security number.

Medical Expenses
We need a total and a categorical breakdown of all your medical expenses.

Charitable Donations
We need a total and a categorical breakdown of all your charitable donations.

Purchase or Sale of Personal Residence
Purchase - If you purchased a home during the year, you may be able to claim certain expenses as itemized deductions, for example mortgage interest and real estate taxes. You should receive a Form 1098, Mortgage Interest Statement, from your mortgage company by January 31 of the following year that shows the interest, points, and escrowed real estate taxes you have paid. Bring this form and a copy of your settlement papers for the new house, including Form HUD-1 (Settlement Statement) if available, to your tax interview so that VES can calculate your savings. Also, bring statements on real estate taxes you paid if they are not shown on your Form 1098.

Sale - The sale of your main residence needs to be reported only if you have a gain and part of the gain is taxable. To claim exclusion on the gain from a sale, you must have owned the home and lived in it as your main home for at least two years. You may be able to exclude up to $250,000 ($500,000 for Married Filing Jointly returns) of the gain from your income. The tax basis of your property needs to be determined. If you saved your Form HUD- 1 from closing, certain items listed on that statement, such as the attorney's fees, surveys, agent's commissions, title searches, recording fees, and the transfer and stamp taxes, can be added to the basis. VES recommend you bring Form HUD-1 from the closing, any applicable receipts, copies of the sale documents, copies of the original purchase documents and receipts for property improvements to your tax interview.

Mortgage and Home Equity Interest Paid
Generally, qualified mortgage interest and home equity loan interest qualify as itemized deductions. Points may be deductible in full in the current tax year or evenly over the life of the loan. The mortgage holder should send a Form 1098 by January 31 of the following year that shows how much you have paid in interest that year. If you do not receive a Form 1098, this information might be found on your mortgage bill instead. If available, bring your mortgage interest information to your tax interview.

Real Estate and Personal Property Taxes Paid
You can deduct amounts paid for real estate taxes and personal property taxes. Bring proof of tax payment to your tax interview. In some cases, your mortgage company will pay real estate taxes for you. If so, they will send proof of payment on a Form 1098 by January 31.

State and Local Taxes Paid
You can elect to deduct state and local general sales taxes you paid in lieu of deducting state and local income taxes.  If you have made any major purchases during the year these taxes can also be added. VES will make calculations to find the best way to reduce your taxes in this area.

Unreimbursed employee expense
If your company did not reimburse you for necessary job expenses, such as the cost of uniforms, protective clothing, fees to employment agencies, dues to professional organizations, and union dues, you may be able to deduct these expenses if you itemize your deductions. Keep records of your expenses. We recommend you bring them to your tax interview so that you can get the maximum deduction.

Student loan interest, Tuition and Education Fees
If you are a student, or if you have a dependent who is a student, you may be able to either deduct up to $4,000 as an adjustment to income, or elect one of the education tax credits for college tuition. Qualified tuition expenses are fees paid for you, your spouse, or a dependent for whom you claim an exemption to attend an eligible institution.  Bring Form 1098-T (Tuition Payments Statement), or a copy of your college tuition bill to your tax interview. If you took out a student loan for yourself, your spouse, or your dependent, you may be able to deduct up to $2,500 of the interest you paid during the year. You should receive a Form 1098-E (Student Loan Interest Statement), showing how much interest you paid during the year.

Estimated Taxes Paid
If you are self-employed or paying quarterly estimated taxes, VES needs to know the date and how much you paid to the federal and state agencies.  We will also calculate what amount you should pay for the coming year.





Vance Economic Services   |   5844 Geary Boulevard   |   San Francisco, CA 94121   |   (415) 387-7417

© 2009 Vance Economic Services. All rights reserved.